Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Vegan Stuffed Cabbage Recipe

Well, I tried the new stuffed cabbage recipe the other night.  I usually mostly like the meals I make.  To be completely honest, I did not like this recipe.  It could be that I made it the night before and then we reheated it the next night for dinner.  All of the sauce was absorbed by the rice and the rice became very mushy.  I also didn’t really like the dill flavor.  It tasted picklish to me and I couldn't get over the texture.  

My DH liked it okay.  He did taste it the night before when it was finished cooking and liked it better that night.  It would be interesting to hear if anyone else likes it.  I posted Golumkies in the 2013 Vegan MoFo Day 22.  Amazing that I haven’t made them since but I remember these being really good.  I think the difference is that I used cooked rice in the mixture and I didn’t cook them in the sauce for a long time.  I will have to make these again soon to redeem myself and my hankering for them. 

I am posting the recipe I made up the other night.  I had the full intention of following the recipe I found but of course I couldn’t.  I didn’t have fresh dill or parsley and I wanted to add the mushrooms and I didn’t think I wanted a lot of spice to it. I also didn’t steam enough cabbage to roll all the mixture.







Stuffed Cabbage

1 medium green cabbage, cut in half and cored
½ medium sweet onion, chopped fine
6 medium sized mushrooms, chopped fine
1 cup jasmine rice
2 T. dried dill
2 T. dried parsley
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground all spice
½ tsp. sugar
3 T. olive oil
1 ½ medium onion sliced thin
3 campari tomatoes sliced thin
8 oz. tomato sauce divided in half
2 cups vegetable broth

Cut the cabbage in half and core it.  Boil the half of the medium green cabbage in about one inch of water until soft.  About 15 minutes.  Allow to cool.
In a bowl mix the finely chopped onions, finely chopped mushrooms, rice, dill, parsley, salt, pepper, ¼ tsp. ground all spice, ½ tsp. sugar and half the can of tomato sauce. 

Prepare the dutch oven.  Add the 3 T. olive oil and layer the onions and tomato slices.

Cut the cabbage in half again and separate leave.  Take about a teaspoon of the rice mixure and roll up.  Put seam side down over the onions and tomatoes.  Continue until all the cooked rice is used.  Sprinkle the remaining rice mixture over top the rolls.  Chop up the other half on the uncooked cabbage into about one inch pieces.  Pour the rest of the tomato sauce over top and the vegetable broth.  Put a small plate over top to keep ingredients down.  Cook on high heat for about 5 minutes.  Turn down to low and cover with the lid.  Let cook over low heat for about 30 minutes.  Remove the plate.  Cook for another 15 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice mixture is cooked through. 








No comments:

Post a Comment