Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Corn Chowder

I posted this recipe on my first attempt at a blog (Bad Beer, Good Cook) two years ago.  Here's what I wrote about this recipe.

Corn Chowder is from the Badbeer family.   Apparently my dad’s family had a lot of cream type dishes because they grew up on a dairy farm.  One day when I was a teenager the Mema was making this family recipe.  She cooked up the bacon, onions, potatoes, corn and spices with the water into a soup; at this point my big brother and I tasted it.  She was ready to add the milk and we were like “no way – we like it like this!”  From that point on, we never had corn chowder as a milk/cream based soup ever again.

I have made it a plant base recipe now!  I just don't use bacon.



Corn Chowder

1 medium onion chopped
3 T. margarine
3 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into smallcubes
1 bag of frozen corn
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried thyme
pepper to taste

Saute onion in margarine.  Add cubed potatoes and frozen corn, salt, thyme and enough water to cover at least an inch over.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer until potatoes are cooked.

Of course this soup is much better the next day but it rarely makes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment