Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pasta Fagioli

Okay, I'm a total foodie and I love to cook. I love checking out vegan/plant based food blogs. But I also love the Food Network. Years ago I would watch Emeril every night at 8 p.m.  Now I mostly enjoy Restaurant Impossible and Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. It's hard though since almost every restaurant on DD&D features meat and/or dairy products.  It does give me inspiration because I like to figure out how I could make things plant based. Our homemade pizza dinner was from an episode the other night from DD& D and so is the pasta fagioli.

From all that I've ever known pasta fagioli to be a soup but this one Italian restaurant made it more like a meal that was pasta, sauce and beans. They used red kidney beans and I found another recipe online that used cannellini beans. So, I ended up using cannellini beans because we didn't have any kidney beans.  I will probably try it with both beans next time.  My family loves kidney beans but they aren't my favorite.


This meal was a super hit with my family.  I really think they loved the beans with the pasta.  I think I may not cook the pasta in the sauce next time.  I will just put the sauce and beans together and then spoon over the cooked pasta.


Pasta Fagioli
Olive oil  (about 2 – 3 T)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic
1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
1 T julienne basil leaves
1 15 ounce can cannellini beans
4 cups water
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. sugar
16 ounces ditalini pasta

Directions
In a big pot over medium heat sauté onions in olive oil (enough to cover bottom of pot about 2 T); cook covered, stirring frequently until onions are translucent.  Add tomato sauce, basil, minced garlic and simmer on low for about 10 minutes.  I used my immersion blender and made this sauce smooth.  
Add the cannellini beans, water and uncooked pasta.  Cook until pasta is done approximately 10 - 15 minutes.   
Add more water and vegetarian bouillon if you want to make this more of a soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment