Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!  Happy New Me!

I want to be more focused on eating plant based most of the time.  I also want to eat healthier.  I need to plan out my meals more and be more accountable.  I've allowed myself to eat a lot of bread and yes, potato chips; not the healthiest plant based options.  As my vegan nephew has told me that even Oreos are vegan.

We usually have pork and cabbage for our good luck New Year meal.  So, today I made the traditional sour cabbage sans the bacon fat!  It's a family recipe from my dad's side of the family.  It used to be so delicious with mashed potatoes and gravy and of course the pork roast.  So, today's menu is sour cabbage with vegetarian "beef/chicken" gravy and mashed potatoes; all vegan prepared of course.  YUM!  I don't think we need the pork for luck!  I think it's in the cabbage.



Sour Cabbage (Grandma Margaret's recipe) - veganized

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
shredded cabbage
1/2 to 1 tsp. salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. pepper (lots & lots)
2 T margarine (or bacon fat)

Bring water, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and margarine to a boil.  Add shredded cabbage and cook very slowly (at least an hour) over low heat.  Stir occasionally.  Add more vinegar and water if needed - taste syrup and add sugar and pepper to taste.  The slower it is cooked, the better!

I actually didn't shred the cabbage; I cut in small cubes about 1/2 inch pieces. It smells so yummy cooking!  It also tastes really good with cooked carrots.

Vegetarian "Beef/Chicken" Gravy

2 T. margarine
2 T flour
1 tsp no beef bouillon paste (Better than Bouillon Vegetarian)
1/2 tsp no chicken bouillon paste (Better than Bouillon Vegetarian)
1/2 tsp Porterhouse & Roast Seasoning (it's just spices - see below)
11/2 cups water

Melt margarine and whisk in the flour.  Whisk in the bouillon pastes and the seasoning.  Slowly whisk in the water.  Cook over low heat until desired thickness.

Ingredients of Porterhouse & Roast Seasoning - salt, granulated garlic, granulated onion, black pepper, oregano, corn meal, paprika, celery seed, parsley and rosemary. vegan :)

Today's food choices -

  • coffee
  • vegetarian vegetable soup* 
  • potato chips & pretzels while watching a movie (The Hunger Games)
  • French baguette
  • classic salad from Panera without the cheese and balsamic vinaigrette on the side
  • mashed potatoes
  • sour cabbage
  • "beef/chicken" gravy

* I know vegetarian vegetable soup isn't vegan because there are egg whites in the alphabet noodles.  Go figure.  I am trying to be as veganish as possible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment