Pages

Friday, September 12, 2014

Vegan MoFo Day 12 - Vegetable Broth

I am really into making my own vegetable broth/stock these days.  It’s so easy to throw all the ingredients in the stock pot and let simmer.  I like to heat it up and sip it in a mug to warm me up at work.  My office space is pretty cold and it’s nice to have as a mid-morning snack.  I also use it in my soups and gravies. 





Vegetable Broth
4 big carrots
4 stalks of celery
4 mushrooms
1 medium onion
1 medium turnip
1 heaping teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 cup of sliced cabbage
Fill the stock pot with water

I break the carrots in half, cut the celery in half, quarter the mushrooms, onion and turnip and throw in some cabbage.  I don’t peel any of them.  I put them right in the stock pot and fill it with water and add the salt and pepper.  I bring it to a boil and then I let it simmer for an hour.  Then I turn off the heat and put a lid on it and let it cool and the flavors mingle.  Strain and either refrigerate or freeze for later use. 




No comments:

Post a Comment