Pages

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Vegan MoFo Day 2 - Butternut Squash Soup


I’ve been looking forward to this Vegan MoFo.  I really hope it kick starts me back into blogging.  I can’t believe I haven’t posted anything since January 2nd  prior to this month.  I guess I wish there was a Vegan Year of Food!  LOL  I’m not sure if I’m going to do any themes yet.  I was thinking of doing the same type of dish on certain days.  Like Tuesdays would be soup day, Sundays would be  family recipe day etc.  I guess I need to plan it out and work on a schedule. 

Soup is one of my favorite things to make and eat.  This butternut squash soup is very easy and heats up well.  Butternut squash is a little bit sweet so it’s nice to add the savory onions and thyme for this soup.  


Butternut Squash Soup

1 medium butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into cubes
1 medium potato peeled and cut into cubes
1 small onion chopped
1 T margarine
Salt & pepper (1/2 tsp salt and ¼ tsp)
½ tsp. dried thyme
Water











Sauté the onion in the margarine until soft.  Add the butternut squash, potato, salt, pepper and thyme.  Put in enough water to cover the squash and potatoes.  Bring to a boil and then cook over medium heat until squash and potatoes are soft.  




Put mixture into a blender (make sure you open the ven and put a cloth over top if you do this while the soup is still hot).  Puree until smooth.  You may also use an immersion blender right in the pot.    Add additional salt and pepper to taste.  Add more water if you want a thinner soup; don't add all the liquid from the soup if you want a thicker soup.  Or add coconut creamer or almond milk for a richer flavor.  




No comments:

Post a Comment