Pages

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Vegan MoFo Day 23 - Acorn Squash Soup

I’ve been craving some homemade soup for a while.  I just haven’t had the time to think about it and/or gumption to do it.  But yesterday I got thinking that I could use that leftover half of acorn squash and make a little bit of soup.  So, I did.  OMG – it is wonderful.  It is as good as if not better than the butternut squash soup I made last month.  The flavor is amazing and it’s so silky.  This batch makes two nice size bowls to go with a salad or one big bowl.  If you use a whole cooked acorn squash then just double the other ingredients.  Also, it is pretty thick so you could also add more coconut milk creamer (or almond milk) or water to thin it out.  The next time I make acorn squash for dinner I’m going to make an extra one for soup the next day!    






Acorn Squash Soup

½ cooked acorn squash
1 carrot
½ medium or small onion
1 Tablespoon Earth Balance margarine
½ teaspoon vegetable better than bouillon
1 cup water
4 Tablespoons coconut milk creamer
Salt & pepper to taste




Peel and dice the carrot into small pieces.  Chop the onion into small pieces too.  Melt the margarine in a medium sauce pan and add the carrot and onion.  



Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are soft.  Stir in the vegetable bouillon and add the water.   



Scrap out the acorn squash from the shell with a spoon and add to the soup mixture.  Cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.  



Add mixture to a blender and add the coconut milk creamer (or use an immersion blender - I don't have one here.)  



Blend until smooth.   Put back into sauce pan and heat to desired temperature.  At this point you may want to thin out the soup with more creamer or water.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  





Note -   you may want to add a sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg and/or brown sugar to taste.  I am thinking the thicker version of this soup would be delicious over pasta too!  

I used my mom's Nutribullet so I allowed the soup to cool before I put it in the container.  I would put the hot mixture into my Vitamix or probably just use my immersion blender right in the saucepan.  My mom just doesn't have an immersion blender - yet!  Amazon Prime may be delivering one shortly!  LOL

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious. I could have done with this soup today because it was a little cold and miserable and perfect weather for this kind of soup!

    ReplyDelete