Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Vegan MoFo Day 16 - Yellow Squash Casserole

I saw a squash casserole posted on Facebook and I knew I had to find a way to make it.  I’ve come up with a smaller version.  I would probably use less of the margarine next time though because it seemed a little greasy to me.  If you don’t like onions you could also take them out of the recipe and even the sage if you don’t like that flavor.



Yellow Squash Casserole
3 yellow squashes
1 medium sweet onion
6 tablespoons Earth Balance margarine
1 teaspoon no chicken better than bouillon paste
Salt, pepper, sage, thyme
½ package of cornbread (already made)
Water reserved from cooking the squash
Daiya cheddar cheese shredded

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a large pot put the sliced squash and cover with water.  Cook until the squash is tender.  Drain but keep at least 1 cup of the squash cooking water. 



In another pan, sauté the onion in the margarine until translucent.  Stir in the no chicken better than bouillon paste.  Sprinkle a few shakes of salt and pepper and add a little bit of sage and thyme (like ¼ teaspoon) or to taste.  Add the drained squash to the onion and spices mixture.  Stir to combine. 


Here's a picture of the baked cornbread.  I used about half for this recipe.



In a greased casserole dish break up the corn bread into chunks.  Pour the squash mixture over top and sprinkle some of the Daiya cheese to taste (I put a thin layer over top.)  Add about ½ cup of the reserved squash cooking water or more to combine.  Stir well.

Cover and bake in the 375 degree oven for 45 minutes; remove cover and cook additional 15 minutes



  

Here’s the original recipe I found on-line.  I didn’t have zucchini squash and I wasn’t sure how it would taste so I pretty much made half the recipe and more to my own taste.  I made the cornbread with applesauce instead of adding an egg.  I also don’t like too much of the cheddar cheese in things. 

Boston Market Squash Casserole
*4 cups zucchini, chopped
*4 cups yellow squash, chopped
*1 large onion, chopped
*1-1/2 sticks earth balance
*salt, pepper, sage, thyme, parsley
*1 package cheddar daiya (or other vegan shredded cheese)
*better than bouillon (no chicken – vegan)
*one loaf of freshly baked vegan cornbread
Preheat the oven to 375. in a large pot add chopped zucchini and yellow squash (covered with water) cook until squash is tender. in another pan melt earth balance. Sauté onions until tender. Add no chicken better than bouillon, thyme, salt, pepper and parsley. Drain squash (reserve ONE CUP of this water) and add the squash to the onion mixture. Combine well. Add one package of cheddar daiya, mixing well. Crumble cornbread into mixture and add the one cup of reserved water – make sure everything is well combined. Add mixture to a lightly greased casserole dish, cover and bake at 375 for about an hour.



No comments:

Post a Comment