Pages

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Vegan MoFo Day 4 - Homemade Tomato Sauce

Homemade Tomato Sauce

I’ve finally made some homemade tomato sauce from bulk tomatoes!  I went to the local farmer’s market and got two baskets of tomatoes.  They put them in boxes for transport for me.



The first box I did the shock thing and peeled the tomatoes and then chopped them up to cook them down into sauce.




The second box I just took the cores out and chopped them.  I’m okay with this because I put the cooked down tomatoes into my Vitamix and pureed them nice and smooth.





I put them in glass jars (I save them!) and then I freeze them.  I have 17 big jars of sauce and 6 smaller jars which I had cooked down the sauce even more to be more like tomato paste! 




I’m so excited to have this “fresh” sauce in my freezer to use all winter long.  I’m going to try to get away from using food from cans this year too.  Once I decided not to peel the tomatoes it made this process so easy.   You just need to let the sauce slowly cook on low heat until the tomatoes are cooked down and soft.  Having a high speed blender helps too but I’m sure you could use an immersion blender too or a regular blender.  It just might take a while to get it to the consistency you want.

FYI - the two boxes were 2 for $12!  What a bargain!  They call them "canning" tomatoes and they don't look pretty but it doesn't matter when you start cooking them down for sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment