Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Vegan MoFo 2018 - Day 27 - Vegan Golumki Casserole

Hey Vegan MoFo Friends,

I am craving more and more cabbage lately.  I was thinking what could I make for this Vegan MoFo and trying to make a family favorite dish vegan.  My husband is half Polish so we have had many Polish dishes with his family.  One of our favorites is Golumkies.  They are very labor intensive to say the least.  My mother-in-law made them with tomato sauce and tomato soup so they had a yummy sweetness to them.  So, I put the sugar in this recipe.  My mother-in-law also liked paprika so I added a ½ teaspoon of that too into this recipe.  I wanted a side dish that would have these flavors and the cabbage and rice.    

Vegan Golumki Casserole
2 Tablespoon Earth Balance margarine
½ medium sweet onion chopped
½ cup rice – rinsed
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon raw sugar
½ teaspoon paprika
8 ounces tomato sauce
1 ½ cups of water (divided)
½ medium cabbage chopped

In a large frying pan saute the chopped onion in the margarine until soft.  Rinse the rice and add to the sautéed onions and mix well.  Add the sea salt, sugar, paprika, tomato sauce and 1 cup of the water.  Heat until almost boiling.  Add the chopped cabbage and stir well.  Put this mixture into a casserole dish. 





Cover and bake 350° for one hour; stir, add the final ½ cup of water, and continue baking for an additional half hour. 





The cabbage is still a bit crunchy but I like it that way.  It could be because I baked it in my toaster oven.  I’m also considering making this recipe without the rice and cook it on the stove to have just the cabbage in the yummy sauce.  I would probably use half the wat

No comments:

Post a Comment