Pages

Friday, September 7, 2018

Vegan MoFo 2018 - Day 7 - Cooking Butternut Squash Easy


Hey Vegan MoFo Friends,

I’ve been craving making some butternut squash but I was looking for an easier way to cook it.  Cutting a butternut squash is a bit hard because it is hard and it’s kind of dangerous.  So, I looked up easier ways to cook one.  I found a recipe to cook it in the crock-pot for 4 to 5 hours on high.  I tried that and I’m not sure if my squash was old or I cooked it too long (I cooked it about 5 hours) in the crock-pot but it tasted sour to me.  So, I threw that one out. 

Yesterday I went to the store and got another butternut squash to try again.  This time I cooked it for 3 ½ hours on high in the crock-pot.  


When I took it out of the crock-pot, it was very easy to cut (one of the reasons why I wanted to find a way to cook the butternut squash without cutting it when it was so hard) but it still was a little hard.  So, after I scooped out the seeds I baked it in the oven (350°) with a sprinkle of olive oil and salt and pepper for about 15 minutes.  It came out wonderful (see below but it was actually cooked flesh side down.)  I’ve also read more about cooking a butternut squash in a crock-pot and it’s says it’s about an hour a pound.  Next time I will be weighing my butternut squash. 




Now I have about 4 cups of cooked butternut squash to make some yummy recipes with this weekend!  I’m thinking about making a butternut squash queso for tacos/burritos or nachos, butternut squash bread or muffins, butternut squash or butternut squash dip or spread or of course my favorite butternut squash soup!  I’m sure I’ll be posting what I make early next week!  Enjoy your weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment