Pages

Monday, November 14, 2016

Vegan MoFo 2016 Day 14 - Homemade Vegetable Broth

Vegan MoFo 2016 – Day 14  Homemade Vegetable Broth

Happy 14th day of Vegan MoFo! 

I feel like I’ve posted my homemade vegetable broth but I can’t seem to find it on my blog.  So, I’ll post it anyway.  It’s not really a recipe but a process. 

I put all the scraps from my veggies when I’m cutting them up for a recipe into a big ziplock baggie.  I put the ends of onions and the skins, potato peelings, carrot peelings and ends, zucchini ends, mushroom trimmings, the celery bottom, etc.  As long as it isn’t broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage or Brussel sprouts, then it will probably make it into my broth bag and I keep it in the freezer. 


When I’m ready to make some veggie broth, I just grab a bag of the veggie trimmings and put it in a big stock pot, fill it with water and add about a tablespoon of salt.  I bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for hours adding water as necessary.  It’s the yummiest broth.  I will need to make some soups soon though I think I have about 6 bags in my freezers right now!  This broth is excellent where you need broth and it’s wonderful by itself!  There is no need to ever buy broth again.  





1 comment:

  1. You know, I've never made my own broth - I should definitely try it! I like your idea of keeping vegetable leftovers in the freezer until you're ready to make a batch.

    ReplyDelete