Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Vegan MoFo 2016 Focaccia Bread

Happy Vegan MoFo 2016 and Focaccia Bread

I'm so happy to be participating in another Vegan MoFo.  I really need to keep up with my blogging so again I hope this give me another kickstart!

Below is a focaccia bread I made to go with a very yummy tomato butternut squash soup.  I'll post that recipe soon.  It's funny because this recipe says it feeds 8-10 people but my husband and I ate in two days by ourselves!  LOL.  





Focaccia Bread
Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups warm (110-115°F) water
2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
5 sprigs fresh rosemary leaves, chopped and divided
1 tablespoons granulated sugar
5 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more coarse sea salt for sprinkling
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Directions:
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the water, yeast, 2 teaspoons of the chopped rosemary, sugar, and half the flour. Stir to combine. Fit the mixer with the dough hook and on low speed add in the remaining flour, salt, and 1/2 cup olive oil. Once the dough comes together, increase the speed to medium and knead for 5 to 6 minutes, or until smooth and soft. If the dough is really sticky, add in another tablespoon or two of flour.
Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, at least 1 hour. Make ahead: place the dough in a large plastic bag, or divide in half and place in two plastic bags, and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. If frozen, thaw overnight in the fridge or for a few hours at room temperature. Proceed with the recipe.
Coat a jelly roll pan with the remaining olive oil or just coat a baking stone with a thick layer of the olive oil.  Press out the dough using your fingertips to fit the dough to the size of your pan.  Spread your fingers to make little holes all the way through the dough.
Cover the dough with plastic and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425°F.
Brush the focaccia with the olive oil on the pan and sprinkle liberally with coarse sea salt and the remaining rosemary leaves. Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before cutting and serving.



3 comments:

  1. My husband and I are totally the same with bread - serves 8, no way, more like "I'll eat it all myself!" Foccacia is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I could eat half a loaf right after it comes out of the oven! Nothing like warm bread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum; I'll have to try making focaccia bread sometime! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Happy Vegan MoFo!

    ReplyDelete