Pages

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Vegan MoFo Day 24 - mushroom and eggplant puffs

I saw this recipe when I was checking out fellow Vegan MoFo’s postings and I’ve been craving to make it ever since.  The Luminous Vegans’ Creamy Mushroom and Eggplant Strudel  looks amazing.  Here’s my version though because I didn't have the phyllo dough and I really didn't feel like dealing with it.   The puff pastry was really quite easy.



Mushroom and Eggplant Puffs
1 small eggplant peeled and cut in 1 inch cubes
1 package (from Costco – pretty big not sure the weight) mushrooms, cleaned and stems trimmed, cut into chunks
2 garlic cloves chopped
½ large sweet onion cut into large chunks
1 tsp. salt
3 green onions thinly sliced
2 – 3 T. cashew cheese (big dollop)
Puff pastry

Put the eggplant, mushrooms, garlic and onion in the food processor.  I processed it a lot.  It was more like a wet paste.  Put in a skillet and add salt and sliced green onions.  Cook over medium heat until the moisture is mostly gone.  Allow to cool. 

 before cooking out liquid

 When I got up this morning I put the cashews in the water to soak.  After the mushroom/eggplant mixture was cooling I made the cashew cheese.  See “my” recipe in tomorrow’s post.

Add about 2 - 3 tablespoons of the cashew cheese to the cooled mushroom and eggplant mixture.  I just added a dollop of the cashew cheese mixture.  It looks about to be 2 - 3 tablespoons to me.



I also took out one of the puff pastry sheets and put it in plastic wrap to thaw out earlier.

Unfold the puff pastry sheet and cut in thirds.  Spoon one-sixth of mixture down the middle on each piece of puff pastry.  (I only used half of the musroom/eggplant mixture for 1 sheet of puff pastry.  So, I have some leftover which I think I will freeze for later or I could make another batch and freeze them before cooking.  It makes a lot!)



Fold over, seal, and put seam on the bottom.  Score each piece of puff pastry into about 1 ½ inch pieces.  



Bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for about 2o-25 minutes or until brown. Serve immediately. 




To freeze:  once puff pastry is filled cut into 1 ½ inches pieces and put on a baking sheet.  Freeze until firm – at least an hour.  Store in freezer bags or other freezer container.  To heat place on a baking sheet and bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for about 25 – 30 minutes or until brown. 



No comments:

Post a Comment