Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Vegan MoFo Day 29 - sweet and sour cabbage

So for family recipe day I’m pulling one of my all-time favorites!  Sweet and Sour Cabbage is what we call it now but the recipe card just says “Cabbage.”  This recipe is from my side of the family specifically my dad’s mother’s aka Grandma Margaret’s recipe.  My parent’s usually have it with pork roast, mashed potatoes, cooked carrots and gravy.  I make it sans the meat and a veggie gravy made from better than bouillon no beef/chicken bouillon.    



Here’s the actual recipe:  (in my mom’s handwriting but you can tell it was written a long time ago!)




Cabbage
Place in kettle ½ cup water
½ cup vinegar
Add about       ¼ cup of sugar
Salt & pepper (lots and lots)
(pepper is what makes it good)
At least 2 tablespoons drippings or margarine.  Bring to a boil and add shredded cabbage.  Cook very slowly (approx.. 1 hr.)

Stir occasionally.  Add more water and vinegar if needed.  Taste syrup – add sugar & pepper to taste. 


The slower it is cooked the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment