Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Vegan MoFo Day 7 - zucchini, tomatoes and basil pasta

Zucchini, tomatoes and basil is probably my family’s and my parents’ favorite pasta dish.  It should have some fancy name but I don’t think it does.  David says “Mom, can you make that good pasta sauce for dinner tonight?”  I started making it years ago and I probably make it every two weeks or so.

Zucchini, Tomato and Basil Pasta
1 big carton grape tomatoes
Olive oil
1-2 garlic cloves minced
½ tsp. sea salt (I use pink Himalayan)
½ cup water
2-3 small zucchinis
About 10 basil leaves
½ tsp. sugar
Cooked pasta of choice (we like to use spaghetti noodles)



Slice the grape tomatoes in half and put in a skillet. Sprinkle some olive oil over top so they don’t stick to the pan.  Add your minced garlic and sea salt.  Cook over medium heat until tomatoes soften. 
Smush with the back of a wooden spoon.  Stir in water to keep it saucy.  Add more water if needed.  While tomatoes are cooking slice zucchini into little cubes – slice in half lengthwise and then half those pieces and then cut them into little cubes.


Start cooking your pasta in heavily salted water (like Mario says – to taste like the sea.)  When you put pasta in water to cook add the zucchini to the tomato sauce.  Continue cooking over medium heat.  Roll the basil up and slice in thin strips; add to the tomato sauce and zucchini mixture.  



Add ½ tsp. of sugar to cut acidity.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Drain pasta.  Serve with pasta on plate and a good helping of sauce over top.



Serves about 3 – 4 people.  We also like garlic toast with this dinner.  We don't usually have any leftovers with this meal either!  It's that good!  It smells like an Italian restaurant here when I make this dish with the garlic and fresh basil.  

I think the fresh basil and garlic really make this dish wonderful but you could also use 1 tsp. dry basil and 1/2 tsp. to 1 tsp. garlic powder too and even a big can of tomato sauce for the tomatoes.  

Also, I think sea salt tastes saltier than regular salt so make sure you taste as you use it.  Add a little at a time.  I have my pink sea salt in a little dish and I sprinkle a little on when I start the tomatoes to get the juices coming out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment